Sex scenes in films need to look believable, but obviously not involve the actors having real sex.



This is where a genital guard comes in. But, what is it and how does one work? A genital guard is used when sex is being simulated in a film or on TV.

For women, the genital guard looks similar to a plastic shoehorn. It’s attached onto the groin with a latex glue to protect the area during filming.

The male version of a genital guard looks like a sock, and has a drawstring to keep it fixed on the penis. These both are designed to be as invisible as possible to present the image of real sex between the actors. Often, genital guards are makeshift items fashioned from flesh coloured underwear or fabric, and the way they look depends on the type of scene being filmed and how much they can get away with wearing.


We have a secret “piece of clothing”… And it is ridiculous!

There is a multitude of cases. There are scenes in which the very action dynamics prevent the use of any clothing piece, as in a sex scene. If the director thinks it is necessary to show the actors’ bodies, they often use nothing. But this type of scene is rare. It is usually possible to use something called “g-string.”

G-strings are tiny pieces of clothing that only cover the genitals. The idea is to give the impression that the actor or actress is not wearing any clothes but provides them with some protection.

“Actor or actress”? Yes, there are male g-strings… And I already used one!

At the beginning of the 2000s, I was hired by a television station here in São Paulo to record some fencing scenes that would be part of a miniseries’ pilot that, after all, never left the drawing board. It would tell the story of Don Pedro The First, that is, it would take place when Brazil was an Empire and, therefore, had a court. My role would be that of a nobleman who, challenged to a duel, would enter a sword fight. I had been a fencer for almost ten years at the time, and I mastered theatrical fencing well, so I was called to act. The “actor” who would make my opponent was my fencing coach, a Russian living in Brazil who even trained the Brazilian Fencing Team at that time.

We did a fantastic fencing choreography, full of falls, somersaults, and other “tricks” to thrill the spectator.

We were taken to the gardens of a palace, where the duel would take place. There was a tent there that served as a dressing room, and we finally saw the costume we would use. Something like the one below:


What a beautiful outfit, isn’t it? Yeah, what a blooper… Mine was not a very elaborate outfit, though…


…But the pants that Luis XVI is wearing in the painting look a lot like the ones they gave me to wear. The problem is that, during the scene, I took off my cloak to fight, and the pants showed up a lot more. Being white and tight to the body, imagine what you could see? Well, dear reader… Because of this, I was given a g-string that was under my pants, of course. It covered the area in question with skin-colored tissue, but to stick to my body, it was a thong. Imagine how delightful to make a very agitated fencing scene with an elastic band entering my… Butt crack.

As an illustration, I will talk about another scene, which took place in the theater. In “Blindness” by José Saramago, I had a wife in the second act. According to the director, we had a scene that asked for a simulation of sex that had to look real. Then, at the scene’s beginning, my “wife,” who wore a dress, lay down with her head turned towards the audience and her legs turned towards the back of the stage, that is, only me, who was between her legs, could see her private parts. During the choreography that we had created, I went down kissing her legs, the inside of her thighs, until I finally got… Well, you know where. Here comes the part that made the audience go crazy: when I got there, I TOOK OFF HER… And I went back to “action,” putting my head between her legs. We got tired of hearing exclamations from the public saying that we were really having sex — that’s what the director wanted, wasn’t it?

BUT…

What the public did not know is that my scene partner was wearing two panties! So, despite always getting very close to her body, I was never in contact with anything compromising…

In short: it is normal to have something preventing direct contact between the two people on the scene. A g-string, panties, underwear… There is usually something there unless the scene calls for total nudity, and the actors involved agree with this.

P.S.: To amuse you a little… During one of the presentations of “Blindness,” the actress came to me before the play started and told me that she had forgotten to take two panties that day. He asked me not to take it out this time. Guess what the bastard here did? At the scene’s time, I put my hands on her panties’ straps and started pulling… The girl went crazy! He almost kicked me out of the stage! Of course, I didn’t take it off, and I was laughing when I approached her ear and said, “That was just for you to be wary and not forget to bring two panties tomorrow”!